A Snapshot of Injuries in Ontario: 2008-2016
The March 2018 edition of the Ontario Injury Compass is based on the Ontario Injury Data Report 2018 (OIDR 2018) produced earlier this year. This compass summarizes OIDR 2018 data with the latest available counts and rates of injury related emergency room (ER) visits, hospitalizations and deaths by cause of injury in Ontario. The Ontario Injury Compass is useful for injury prevention practitioners, epidemiologists, public health analysts, healthcare and public health professionals, as well as anyone with an interest in injury prevention.
Data within the March 2018 edition of the Ontario Injury Compass, provides a province-specific view of the burden of injuries in Ontario, and can be used to identify trends such as consistent areas of high ED visits, Hospitalizations or Deaths in vulnerable populations who may be at a higher risk for a particular cause of injury. Age and population specific data presented within the report can also be used to identify trends within injury morbidity and mortality in Ontario to inform the development and implementation of appropriate health promotion programming and injury prevention strategies.
For the purposes of this report, ER and Hospitalization data is presented for a 2 year period for the Fiscal Years 2014/15 - 2015/16. Death data is presented between a 5-year period between 2008-2012.
- More than 2.4 Million Ontarians visited an Emergency Room (ER) as a result of injuries in FY 2014/15 - 2015/16
- Falls as the single highest contributor of ER visits across all age groups and causes of injury (N=850,003) in FY 2014/15 - 2015/16
- Injuries accounted for approximately 144,000 Hospitalizations in FY 2014/15 - 2015/16
- Seniors older than 80 experienced most fall-related injuries resulting in ER visits (N=132,070) in FY 2014/15 - 2015/16
- Over 25,600 Ontarians died as a result of injuries in a five-year period between 2008-2012
Active on Social Media?
Share the report and its findings with your networks using the Hashtag #OIDR2018 and tag us @ParachuteCanada and @OIPRC
Ontario Injury Compass provides an analysis of injury issues in Ontario. Each report provides a snapshot of the most recent data available on the given topic. By signing up, you can automatically receive notification when the reports are released.
To sign up, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.